Installation Problems windows 7 (Java)

Hi,

I am trying to install CellProfiler-2.2.0, and I keep getting the following error :

“Cell Profiler can only work if Java is installed on your computer. Please got to http://java.com and install the 64-bit version of Java.”

I have already installed the latest Java–> Version 8 Update 91
Could you please let me know, what I should do next?

Thank you

Have you tried installing the java development kit, in addition to the java runtime environment?

Can't start CellProfiler 2.2.0 and 2.3.0 - Failed to start Java VM

It’s also likely that you have the 32-bit version of Java.

To test:

• Open a command prompt (Terminal.app on Mac, or on Windows click Start and type “cmd”)
  • type “java -version”

If you are running 64-bit, somewhere in the output it will say “64-bit”. If not, you have 32-bit – so then go to the top of http://cellprofiler.org/releases, click the Java link and ensure that you download and install the “x64” version. It should be able to be installed alongside the 32-bit version, afaik.

Thank you, it worked!

Could you please clarify your solution. Did you not have the 64-bit version installed?

I just installed the java development kit:

I chose this option:

Windows x64 187.4 MB jdk-8u91-windows-x64.exe

Thanks!

Glad that worked. The key was 64-bit I suspect, but it’s still not clear whether JDK is necessary, or just a 64-bit JRE.

Installing the Java development kit doesn’t seem to be the solution for me. I get the same error when launching Cell Profiler 2.2.0 on Mac OS X 10.9.5

Also, checking the Java version:
java version "1.8.0_102"
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_102-b14)
Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.102-b14, mixed mode)

Are there any other solutions?
Thanks!

I’m neither a Java nor a Mac expert, but it looks to me like you have the 64 bit version of Java HotSpot but only the 32 bit version of regular Java. Can you try installing/reinstalling the newest Java 64 bit and see if that solves the issue?