Kernelbase.dll causes cellprofiler to crash in 64-bit Windows 7

I have tried using CellProfiler v. 2.2.1 on my 64-bit windows 7 machine. However, CellProfiler keeps crashing.

I have tried it using two different example pipelines downloaded from your example website. Specifically, the “Human cells” and “Tumors” pipelines listed under basic pipelines.

First I import the pipeline from file and then I drag the images from the windows folder into CellProfiler.

When I step through the pipeline in test mode everything works. However, If I click “Analyze Images”, CellProfiler becomes unresponsive and eventually shuts down without a message and without saving anything.

I have attached a crash report from which it appears that it is KERNELBASE.dll in the system32 folder that causes the program to crash.

Faulting application name: CellProfiler.exe, version:, time stamp: 0x4c7cd184
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.23807, time stamp: 0x5915fe14
Exception code: 0x40000015
Fault offset: 0x000000000001a06d
Faulting process id: 0x16c38
Faulting application start time: 0x01d30c6f656bea43
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\CellProfiler\CellProfiler.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: c6b7c803-7862-11e7-b610-d067e5f3b0a8

I would really like to use CellProfiler for my experiments, so I hope you can help me with this problem.

Thank you

Frederik W. Lund

Hmmm, that’s weird, I’ve not seen that before. Can you try uninstalling it, redownloading and reinstalling it? Googling leads me to believe it’s a Windows system file issue, so I’m not sure that if that doesn’t work that CP is the problem.

I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest version. I think it must be related to cellprofiler somehow, since that is the only program which will not run on the computer. Maybe I can ask our IT department for assistance.

Best Regards