Measure capillary wall thickness

Hello everyone,

I’m very new to CP and would love to know if I’m on the right track. I’m trying to measure the thickness of capillary walls in microscope images of glomeruli (from a kidney biopsy). I would like to see if there is a difference between normal and diseased kidneys.

The basic workflow is:

1. Identify primary objects (capillary loops)
  2. Measure the size (??)
  3. Overlay on original picture

But what I really want is the thickness so I can compare the two images, and I’m not sure how to do that/what the best module is to use. Any insights to help me get started would be appreciated! Thank you!

GlomerularMeasure1.cpproj (722.8 KB)

Could you attach an example image or two which can be run with the pipeline you attached please?

Hi Laura,

Of course! Sorry, I thought they were included in the project file. The images contain text for clarity, but I crop it out when running the pipeline and use only the upper portion of the image.

Thank you,

Hi Sarah,

I haven’t played with your pipeline yet, but one thing I can definitely say is that since you’re hoping to quantify something relatively subtle, you should absolutely be running it on the original images- whatever you’re doing to add text and make these montages may be doing things to your image that introduce errors in ways that will be hard/impossible to detect downstream, and by my eye it’s also adding pixelation (which will make your analysis less accurate as well). Can you upload the original images to work from?