No usable temporary file name found error on start


#1

Hi all, I hope the data treats you well.

Alas, I’m seeing an error I’ve not seen before on running an analysis:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “cellprofiler\analysis_worker.pyc”, line 378, in do_job
File “cellprofiler\measurements.pyc”, line 1807, in load_measurements_from_buffer
File “tempfile.pyc”, line 314, in mkstemp
File “tempfile.pyc”, line 257, in _mkstemp_inner
IOError: [Errno 17] No usable temporary file name found

Here’s the project:
test_pipeline.cpproj (894.3 KB)

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your time.
Neil


#2

Can you check on your output directory that a) you have write permission b) it isn’t full?

More information about your OS, CP version, etc may also help. Thanks!


#3

Hi Beth, thanks for the speedy reply.

I have Administrator rights (I installed the OS). The drive has vast amounts of space free (19.9TB free of 21.8TB). I don’t think it’s an IO thing as it’s writing the jpeg without issue in test mode. That being said, I’ve had issues on other system where things will work in test mode, but then on running the analysis I’ve had permissions issues (this is with people on User rights only). Are there fundamental differences on how it executes the test mode vs the main analysis?

I get the following errors on opening CP:
cp_console.txt (7.7 KB)
and I get something related on checking the version in menu Help -> About:
Traceback (most recent call last):
_ File “cellprofiler\gui\cpframe.pyc”, line 996, in on_help_about
_ File “wx_controls.pyc”, line 997, in init

_ File “encodings\cp1252.pyc”, line 15, in decode_
UnicodeDecodeError: ‘charmap’ codec can’t decode byte 0x9d in position 865: character maps to

It states CellProfiler 2.2.0 (rev ac0529e) at the top of the CP window.

Thanks
Neil


#4

Also, if it’s related, I get “Failed to upload, server reported code 405” when I hit the Send report… button on the error pop ups.

Neil


#5

Are there fundamental differences on how it executes the test mode vs the main analysis?

I think there may be, unfortunately.

Can you try instead of using ‘Elsewhere’ as your output location, to use ‘Default Output Folder’ and set your Default Output Folder to what you currently have specified there? ‘Elsewhere’ can behave oddly sometimes I think.


#6

Hi Beth, thanks for the tip.

It turns out that the default save location was in a user folder, and even though I should have permissions, it wasn’t happy. I think the test mode uses the ‘Elsewhere’ location fine, but when you run the Analysis it defaults to the default. On changing the default output folder and setting that on the module it worked.

The weird thing is that I didn’t save that little change, and when I opened it again now, with the user output default folder, and using ‘Elsewhere’ in the module, things are still working. I wonder if having opened the user folder in Windows OS I’ve somehow registered that it has permissions and it’s ok with that… Who know.

Good to know where things might be getting upset. Hope to see these little hurdles removed in updates soon :slight_smile:
Thanks
Neil